Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Mother's Day Contest Entry from Wendy tells of her transformation into her mother. . .


I didn’t want to believe it either. For years my husband would mention that I’m doing things like my mother, he would give reference to silly things, like my insistence on forcing friends to have something to eat, or in general to be too overly hovering and sensitive. Was it true? Was I becoming my mother? I just thought I was being a “baleboosteh” you know a good hostess. It doesn’t mean I’m my mother! We’re so different, we are worlds apart! I mean I was born here in Canada, I don’t speak her native language of Polish, I have no accent like her, I can’t crochet, knit or cook “K'naidel” (dumpling-like balls used for chicken soup) like her, I couldn’t be more different.

But after last night, I have to concede that I owe my husband an apology. It started innocently enough with laundry. I emptied the hamper of darks into my machine like I always do, I made sure none of the whites snuck in, all looked good, I even added some vinegar (ok like my mother likes to do) vinegar is known to help preserve color vitality. I closed the lid, and returned to watching TV feeling proud that I was multitasking. A half hour later I heard the machine stop, I opened the lid …

and Ta Da! Kleenex tissue pieces all over my laundry! It couldn’t be, I couldn’t have, and this can’t be! Oh BUT IT BE! a zillion tiny nasty pieces of wet Kleenex adhering to all the clothes with no intention of letting go! It was a nightmare! The only good thing was my husband was asleep and would never know about this secrettarred-and- Kleenexed in the white sticky stuff, I saw it…my dark navy top with one sleeve still rolled up. It didn’t have a pocket, so like my mother used to do, when I was little, I observed she would put her Kleenex in her sleeve. incident….and there as I pulled each item of clothing out… myself Well, as I unfurled my navy top, I noticed I had done the same thing, placing that innocent Kleenex in my sleeve, resulting in this guilty mess! And there you have it evidence that indeed eventually maybe we do all morph into one aspect of our mothers, and that at least in this instance my husband is right!

No comments: